Yesterday, I figured out how to use my sewing machine. I’d used one before, in 7th grade sewing class, but since that was 17 years ago… I was a little rusty.
However, once my friend helped me put the bobbin holder thingy back in, I was up and running in what felt like no time at all. I sewed a few straight lines, clapped and squealed while my dog raised her eyebrows at me, and rushed out to the fabric store. My mission: supplies for these coasters.
As far as first projects go, they were simple enough that I could follow the instructions, and the end result was something more than just a piece of fabric with some thread running through it. I felt (and feel) accomplished. I can see the possibilities that this sewing machine has for me. Well, they aren’t the prettiest things in the world, but here’s my favorite part. You can tell which ones I made first and which I made last. I improved significantly as I went along, which is the point of this whole exercise!
My plan for today is to make a larger coaster/hot pad thing for casserole dishes. Every month, if I finish my project early, I can make more or make variations on that project while I plan next month’s.
January: coasters (done 1/5)